With the first talk after the morning break, we welcomed Rachel Starling, a Senior UX designer from Speedo. Rachel covered the increasing importance of user experience, using an example of the improvements they made to how consumers chose swimming goggles, and how that directly impacted their ROI. The talk was fascinating in covering how the use of user insights lead to digital growth.
Rachel Starling – Her Role
- Advocate for the user
- Focus on exceeding user expectations
- Aligning user and business insight
- Create experiences built in insight that deliver growth
- Test first mentality
Focus For Today’s Session
How to leverage user and business insight to create a user experience that meets user needs and delivers a return on investments.
The Link Between User Experience & Performance
- 88% of consumers won’t return to a website after a bad experience
- 86% of consumers will pay more for a better user experience
Modern marketing is no longer about just delivering a product. You have to provide the complete experience including support pre and post-purchase.
Bring it To Life – Goggle Case Study
Goggle Insight – Facts:
- #2 online product category behind swimwear
- 145+ product variations
- The user can choose multiple attributes per goggle
Evaluating The Current Experience
Ask yourself these questions:
- How are our users interacting with the existing experience?
- What is working well for them?
- What are the challenges?
The Value from Understanding Our Users’ Behaviour
Can be challenging assessing your own work, but it’s necessary to improve user experience and ultimately improve your ROI. But how do we do this?
Address the moments that matter
- What are the key moments in a users journey that really matter to them?
Creating compelling experiences
- Design around the moments that matter to create excellent experiences that exceed user expectations
- Exceeding user needs leads to increased ROI
How We Understand Our Users Behaviour and Expectations
- Usability testing – Use “whatusersdo” qualitative feedback from our consumers on the existing experience
- In-store research – Insights from customers and sales advisors on selling/buying goggles
- Competitor/Comparator – How are goggles represented across the category?
- Data deep dive – What is the data telling you? Google Analytics – bounce rate
What Did We Learn?
- Difficulty choosing – users struggle to shop over 145+ products
- Attributes – users did not understand the difference between the lens type
- Shop by activity – users relate to their type of swimming e.g. fitness, open water and competitive
How Do You Make the Goggle Category Easier to Shop?
Collaboration across your company is fundamental to delivering a better user experience, from research to creation to analysis. Sharing what you learn and forming strong relationships from working together will deliver results. Here is an example of how user experience is linked to a full range of services.
Goggle Tool Experience Creation & User Centred Design
- We know that [problem]
- We believe that by [lever] for [audience] we will [goal]
- We’ll know that we have achieved [goal] by testing [concept] on [area] and observing [KPI] for [duration]
Applying This to the Goggle Experience
- We know that [users want support when shopping for Goggles]
- We believe that by [helping users shop the Goggle category] for [swimmers] we will [increase conversion rate of Goggles]
- We’ll know that we have achieved [a conversion rate increase] by testing [a selector tool] on [ecommerce] and observing [conversion rate] for [3 months]
You can tailor this hypothesis to any project you have so it is bespoke to the way you work. You may work in shorter sprints and therefore shorten the [duration] or change your [audience] to target a different set of customers. It is completely interchangable to your requirments.
User Centred Design – Putting Your Users at the Heart
The process itself is highlighted in the chart above.
What Did the Final Solution Look Like?
What Was The Impact?
Speedos results showed that by understanding and improving your user experience, you can positively impact your digital growth. The trend between quality UX and ROI is real. Speedo experienced double-digit growth in the goggle category compared to previous years, including a summer peak. Since the implementation of the tool in March, the goggles category saw conversion rates double.
- Leverage the power of insight and collaboration to exceed user needs and ROI
- User experience directly affects your site’s performance
- Gather as much data as you can around the user experience
- Create a hypothesis that is specific to your project
- Design around key moments in your user’s journey
- Test, test, test!
- Consider your feedback and make changes where necessary
Powered by WPeMatico